Gina Carano
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout

5 posters

Go down

Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout Empty Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout

Post  aiki_chick Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:08 pm

Knock-out update!

“Ultra-realistic” femme fatale actioner

We’ve come to expect the unexpected from Steven Soderbergh, but even Empire was surprised by the recent news he is to direct a spy thriller called Knockout starring mixed martial arts fighter Gina Carano. So, we had a chat with him about it.
“My feeling was, If I don’t do this, somebody else will,” says the Oscar-winning director. “I felt, somebody is going to look at her and go, ‘She should be in a movie!’ And I felt like, Why shouldn’t I be the person saying that?”

Carano is an experienced fighter – trained in Muay Thai, the martial art form used by Tony Jaa in Ong-Bak – and while she has limited screen experience, she certainly lives up to the title Knockout.

“If you start following the female mma fighters, Gina pops out pretty noticeably,” says Soderbergh. “I thought it was a fascinating combination of appearance and activity... I’d been wanting to make a spy action film for a while, but hadn’t really determined what I was going to bring to it that would distinguish it from the traditional approach. Then I thought, ‘Why don’t I just build it around her? She can actually break people in half.’ I was interested in doing something ultra-realistic.”

Carano – who appeared as Crush in TV’s American Gladiators and has a role in upcoming Michael Jai White actioner Blood And Bone – will play someone who is ‘outsourced’ by the government to perform tasks the state can’t be seen to undertake. “My desire is for it to be a very realistic portrayal of somebody who gets hired, as these people do, by the government, to go and perform certain duties that it would be inappropriate to give to the military,” says Soderbergh. “That could be anything from a hostage-grab to surveillance to an actual killing...”

Plot details are light, because the script is currently being written, but Soderbergh describes Knockout as “a combination of a Bond movie and Point Blank”, though, “more on the scale of From Russian With Love than, you know, Quantum Of Solace... Something where the characters and the story are as prominent as the action stuff.”

Lem Dobbs, whose scripts for Kafka and The Limey were previously directed by Soderbergh, is writing the screenplay, with cameras expected to roll in February. The question is whether connoisseurs of Soderbergh’s excellent DVD commentaries can expect a repeat of his pairing with Dobbs on The Limey, in which the screenwriter was relentlessly outspoken in his criticism of the finished film.

“Oh, you can fuckin’ bet the farm on that!” says Soderbergh, laughing. “He’s absolutely gonna give me a hard time. I’ve already thought about that, like, Oh boy, you know, this is going to be round two. There’s no question. This is absolutely the rematch that people have been waiting for.”

For a more extensive chat with Soderbergh, in which he discusses new releases The Girlfriend Experience and The Informant!, plus everything from the state of Hollywood to prostitution, pick up (and preferably pay for) the latest issue of Empire, on sale tomorrow.

Source: Empire Online
aiki_chick
aiki_chick

http://xranter.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout Empty Re: Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout

Post  powerbomb91 Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:56 am

this is cool .....the only thing i dont want people saying after this movie comes out is ...............i loved gina carano since the beggining ....she my fave ...not that i would be jealous it just that well .....nobody will know who the true fans are. just my opinion Very Happy
powerbomb91
powerbomb91

http://www.myspace.com/marioisdisturbed

Back to top Go down

Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout Empty Re: Exclusive: Steven Soderbergh on Knockout

Post  Poshy2005 Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:19 am

Just this bit of hype makes me want to see it. I can't wait. It should be good.
Poshy2005
Poshy2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastiaan Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Yeh, im excited and very curious about it
Bastiaan
Bastiaan

http://missy-peregrym.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Great article, thanks for posting girl. Smile I can't wait to see this film, but we're going to be waiting a long time.
Angelique
Angelique
Admin

https://ginacarano.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bastiaan Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Probably, yeh. Although they can make movies fairly quickly. It'll depend on when they'll be shooting and how much pre-producing they think they need to do
Bastiaan
Bastiaan

http://missy-peregrym.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  powerbomb91 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:20 am

thats true
powerbomb91
powerbomb91

http://www.myspace.com/marioisdisturbed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down